The installation of biomass stoves in Spain, record growth in 2016
Although the installation of biomass equipment for thermal use and biomass stoves and boilers set a record in terms of number of units installed and grew to over 1000 MW, it did not reach 1300 MW installed power in 2015.
Generally speaking, according to the Biomass Observatory, the annual installed capacity with technical biomass equipment is down 23% on 2015, although it remains constant at 1020.6 MW. The number of units installed in 2016 stands at 38,851, 18% up on the figure for 2015.
This shows that Spanish society is still in need of much more information. The biomass sector is gradually colonising the heating sector in Spain, but at a slower pace than predicted a few years ago. Overall, the Biomass Observatory indicates that, at the beginning of this year there were 198,887 high-performance biomass units operating in Spain, totalling an installed capacity of 8297.6 MW.
This upward trend is not only the case in Spain but across Europe, where 16% of heating now uses biomass. This is a proven fact: the use of biomass for energy boosts the internal and local economy, revitalizes rural areas, enables better forest management and creates stable, local employment in our regions. It helps reduce dependence on imported fossil fuels, provides technological leadership, reduces the cost to end consumers and offers an efficient, cheaper alternative to any other fuel. Indeed, we need to be aware of the current importance of biomass: it already accounts for 0.34% of Spain`s GDP, i.e. 3.7 billion euros.
The energy generated with biomass in Spain means we no longer have to import the equivalent of more than 10 million barrels of oil, reducing greenhouse gas emissions caused by fossil fuels such as diesel or natural gas.
2016 sets a new record in the sale of pellet stoves while fewer biomass boilers are being installed
According to figures released by the Biomass Observatory, 35,815 pellet stoves were installed in Spain last year, 22% more than the previous year. According to the figures, many brands exceed 1000 units and several of them sell over 5000 units per year. The marketing trend has veered towards the DIY-department-store channel and continues to rise with units that have less and less power but more and more technology: the average power of stoves sold in 2016 was 11.3 kW.
The installation of boilers of below 50 kW was down 16% on 2015 figures. According to the figures, high-end and import sales were lower and the average installed power was 34.4 kW.
The installation of biomass boilers of 50 kW or more, i.e. industrial and collective installations, fell by 15% in number and represent the group of biomass installations with the greatest reduction in installed power. The main causes include a number of events that have discouraged changing efficient boilers, i.e. months of political instability, low heating diesel prices at the beginning of the year and a relatively mild winter with lower thermal requirements. Now, well into the first half of 2017, we are observing a change in the trend mainly because heating diesel prices last winter rose by more than 50% in comparison with the previous year.
Expobiomasa consolidates the rate at which the sector is growing
EXPOBIOMASA 2017, the sector`s most important show in Southern Europe, is to be held in Valladolid from 26 to 29 September and will again reflect the situation of the biomass sector. More than 600 exhibitors from 30 countries are looking to present the latest in technology, design and features, etc. to 18,000 professionals eager to see and acquire equipment that provides solutions to increasingly demanding and informed consumers. This edition of Expobiomasa is expected to grow by more than 20% in comparison with the show held two years ago.
Aboneaza-te la newsletter-ul InstalNews
Fii la curent cu toate noutatile, schimbarile, promotiile si evenimentele din lumea instalatiilor.Ma abonez
DIN ACEEASI CATEGORIE
- August, 2017 - On September 6th, VdS celebrates the 10th year of its presence in Asia with the “First International Fire Safety and Security Forum in China”... » mai mult
- August, 2017 - An excellent Smart Heating solution: Danfoss Link™ is one of the winners of the German Brand Award 2017. At a gala ceremony at the German Historical Museum in Berlin... » mai mult
- August, 2017 - The broader adoption of electric vehicles, and their charging infrastructure, will represent a boost for European copper material producers and European vehicle manufacturers... » mai mult
Denmark hosts the EUBCE 2018 - 26th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition, from 14 to 18 May 2018August, 2017 - Biomass utilisation for multitude of products continues to grow in the rapidly developing bioeconomy. This growth brings many new challenges... » mai mult
- August, 2017 - Available projects on water management in Montenegro are going to be main subject of the B2B conference on 13th – 14th of September in City of Niksic... » mai mult
- August, 2017 - The Eastern European Hydropower Forum will offer Eastern European Associations and companies their own platform... » mai mult
- July, 2017 - In September 2017, export-oriented companies from the global plastics and rubber industry will be able to explore some interesting markets... » mai mult
Expobiomasa 2017 reaches the final straight for exhibitor registration with an increase of 30% in exhibition areaJuly, 2017 - Three months after opening, Expobiomasa 2017 now has 93% of the exhibition area reserved by companies from 30 countries... » mai mult
- July, 2017 - Supported by the IWA Water Loss Specialist Group, this specialist conference is being organised by the Group`s Northern European representatives and... » mai mult
- July, 2017 - ISH, the world`s leading trade fair for the combination of water and energy, is changing its sequence of days. In future, the event will begin on Monday, instead of Tuesday, as in the past... » mai mult