The installation of biomass stoves in Spain, record growth in 2016
Although the installation of biomass equipment for thermal use and biomass stoves and boilers set a record in terms of number of units installed and grew to over 1000 MW, it did not reach 1300 MW installed power in 2015.
Generally speaking, according to the Biomass Observatory, the annual installed capacity with technical biomass equipment is down 23% on 2015, although it remains constant at 1020.6 MW. The number of units installed in 2016 stands at 38,851, 18% up on the figure for 2015.
This shows that Spanish society is still in need of much more information. The biomass sector is gradually colonising the heating sector in Spain, but at a slower pace than predicted a few years ago. Overall, the Biomass Observatory indicates that, at the beginning of this year there were 198,887 high-performance biomass units operating in Spain, totalling an installed capacity of 8297.6 MW.
This upward trend is not only the case in Spain but across Europe, where 16% of heating now uses biomass. This is a proven fact: the use of biomass for energy boosts the internal and local economy, revitalizes rural areas, enables better forest management and creates stable, local employment in our regions. It helps reduce dependence on imported fossil fuels, provides technological leadership, reduces the cost to end consumers and offers an efficient, cheaper alternative to any other fuel. Indeed, we need to be aware of the current importance of biomass: it already accounts for 0.34% of Spain`s GDP, i.e. 3.7 billion euros.
The energy generated with biomass in Spain means we no longer have to import the equivalent of more than 10 million barrels of oil, reducing greenhouse gas emissions caused by fossil fuels such as diesel or natural gas.
2016 sets a new record in the sale of pellet stoves while fewer biomass boilers are being installed
According to figures released by the Biomass Observatory, 35,815 pellet stoves were installed in Spain last year, 22% more than the previous year. According to the figures, many brands exceed 1000 units and several of them sell over 5000 units per year. The marketing trend has veered towards the DIY-department-store channel and continues to rise with units that have less and less power but more and more technology: the average power of stoves sold in 2016 was 11.3 kW.
The installation of boilers of below 50 kW was down 16% on 2015 figures. According to the figures, high-end and import sales were lower and the average installed power was 34.4 kW.
The installation of biomass boilers of 50 kW or more, i.e. industrial and collective installations, fell by 15% in number and represent the group of biomass installations with the greatest reduction in installed power. The main causes include a number of events that have discouraged changing efficient boilers, i.e. months of political instability, low heating diesel prices at the beginning of the year and a relatively mild winter with lower thermal requirements. Now, well into the first half of 2017, we are observing a change in the trend mainly because heating diesel prices last winter rose by more than 50% in comparison with the previous year.
Expobiomasa consolidates the rate at which the sector is growing
EXPOBIOMASA 2017, the sector`s most important show in Southern Europe, is to be held in Valladolid from 26 to 29 September and will again reflect the situation of the biomass sector. More than 600 exhibitors from 30 countries are looking to present the latest in technology, design and features, etc. to 18,000 professionals eager to see and acquire equipment that provides solutions to increasingly demanding and informed consumers. This edition of Expobiomasa is expected to grow by more than 20% in comparison with the show held two years ago.
Aboneaza-te la newsletter-ul InstalNews
Fii la curent cu toate noutatile, schimbarile, promotiile si evenimentele din lumea instalatiilor.Ma abonez
DIN ACEEASI CATEGORIE
- June, 2017 - Microsoft and Tenova launched an integrated system enabled by industry 4.0 technologies to promote digital transformation in the iron and steel industry and increase competitiveness... » mai mult
- June, 2017 - Internationalization as a strategic asset has been constantly one of the strengths of MCE that for this year`s edition has set up a new promotion project, Country Partner, choosing India as a special guest... » mai mult
- June, 2017 - Three days of packed halls and high spirits among exhibitors and visitors: Intersolar Europe, the world`s leading exhibition for the solar industry and its partners, drew to a successful close... » mai mult
- June, 2017 - Two European Directives and their accompanying regulations have introduced new minimum requirements for heating appliances, as well as a label to inform about their performances. This article presents these requirements and the foreseen label in respect to electrical heat pumps... » mai mult
- May, 2017 - The international summit and exhibition “Hydropower Balkans 2017” (15-17 November 2017 Montenegro, Podgorica) - is a professional platform, bringing together chief ministers, major investors, decision-makers... » mai mult
- May, 2017 - When finished in 2018 the new manufacturing facility will produce a comprehensive range of products, including high-density materials and elastomeric insulation for heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems... » mai mult
- May, 2017 - Waste water and Drinking water in Bosnia and Herzegovina are going to be main subject of the “Business to Business” (B2B) conference Wednesday, 7th of June 2017 in Bijeljina organized by Resenva Consulting doo from Novi Sad and the City of Bijeljina... » mai mult
- May, 2017 - German Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel and Tarek Al-Wazir, Minister of Economics, Energy, Transportation and Regional Development of the state of Hesse, both attended the inauguration of the Viessmann Innovation Center (“Technikum”)... » mai mult
- May, 2017 - Making the benefits of digitalization tangible - that was the declared objective of HANNOVER MESSE 2017. After five action-packed days at the world`s leading trade fair... » mai mult
- May, 2017 - The publication - the first of its kind - shows how different water management choices, as well as other factors such as waste management, climate change and even our food preferences, affect the long-term sustainability of water use in our cities... » mai mult